BaylaDex How To
Category. Item. Description. The BaylaDex uses these three entities to organize your data. Each Category has a unique name, up to 12 characters long. The Category contains many Items, and each Item has a name, up to 12 characters long. Each Item also has a plain text description, which is your content, and it can be as long as you want. You add Categories and Items to organize your data, and edit Item description to add content. Usually you will work exclusively on your Android device, but you also have the capability to create Categories, Items, and Descriptions on your PC and import them into the baylaDex.
Export a Category
To save an entire Category to a file for sharing with another BaylaDex user, or as a backup, you can export it to a file. you can also export all categories to a file at one time. This is useful for making a backup of your entire database. The file can later be imported, thus restoring your database content to its state at the time of backup.
1. From the Filer screen enter your BaylaDex password.
2. Enter an export file name.
3. From the Category pull-down select a Category or ALL.
4. Press Export. The file specified now appears in the Import File pull-down.
Share Export File via Email
1. Select the file to send from the Filer screen Import File pull-down.
2. Press the menu button and select Send File.
3. Enter the destination email.
Create Content Using Excel on your PC.
1. Create a new Excel worksheet.
2. Enter these headings: CATEGORY, ITEM, DESCRIPTION, ACTDATE.
3. In each subsequent row enter a Category and Item in the appropriate column, maximun 12 characters each.
4. The Description is your content. Use the Excel editing box at the top of the screen, and expand its height for better readability.
5. For each row enter a date under ACTDATE, in the format 12/25/2014.
6. Save the spreadsheet as a csv file using the File, Save As menu in Excel.
7. If emailing, rename the file to bd_import.txt. For FTP you can use any filename. It is now ready to send to the BaylaDex.
Email a File from a PC To the BaylaDex
1. Name the file bd_import.txt, all lower case.
2. Email it as an attachment to your Android.
3. Save the attached bd_import.txt file to your phone or tablet /Android folder.
4. From the Filer screen press the device menu. Select Find Import File. If prompted, delete source file.
5. The bd_import.txt file should appear in the Import File pull-down on the Filer screen. It can now be imported into the BaylaDex.
Import a File Into the BaylaDex
1. From the Filer enter your password.
2. Select a file from the Import File pull-down.
3. Select Replace or Skip.
Replace overwrites any existing Category/Item combinations. Skip leaves them intact, but adds any new ones.
4. Press Import. The file is loaded into the appropriate Categories/Items.
Find Import File
To find an import file that you have emailed to your device as an attachment, from the Filer screen press the Menu button and select Find Import File.
Tip: Create a /bdimport folder on your Android device and place the bd_import.txt file there. The Find Import File function will look in this folder if it exists.
Delete an Item or Category
From the Main screen press the menu button, then select Delete. The current Item will be deleted. You cannot delete the last Item in a Category. Instead, delete the Category.
To delete a Category, from the Main screen select the Category to be deleted. Press the device menu button, then select Delete Category. The current Category will be deleted. You cannot delete the Help Category.
How to Download Website Content Files
Download to Android:
1. Press and Hold link.
2. Press Save Link.
3. On Android rename file to bd_import.txt and move to /Android folder.
4. From BaylaDex Filer menu select Find Import File.
5. Import using BaylaDex Filer.
Download to PC:
1. Right click Link.
2. Save Link As bd_import.txt.
3. Move from PC to device /Android folder using Bluetooth, direct connection, or email.
4. From Filer menu Find Import File.
5. Import using BaylaDex Filer.
These are pre-built content Categories for import into your BaylaDex. From PC right click link and Save Target As. From Android press and hold link and Save Link. For more detail about importing into the BaylaDex see How to Download Website Content Files on this page.
COSLAS - Chief Officers of State Library Agencies: Library COSLAs by State
More Category downloads to come. Stop by often and check.
My name is Bill Vitanyi, owner of Bayla Publishing, and designer of the BaylaDex.
Sometimes you just want access to your own data. No cloud, no syncing, just your plain text information in a database on your phone or tablet.
Free, and easy to use, the BaylaDex also has advanced features, such as the ability to share your content via an FTP server.
Thank you for trying the BaylaDex. Follow @vitanyi
The Category pull-down menu, beneath the large display box, lists all Categories. The Item pull-down menu lists all Items for the currently selected Category. The large edit box displays the content of the currently selected Item.
To edit data, simply type in the large edit box, and press Save when finished. To access the submenu, select the device menu button.
The submenu displays Add, Delete, Full View, Settings,Search, Filer, and Delete Category.
When tapped the Category menu shows all existing Categories. The Item menu lists all Items within the currently selected Category. These are Categories and Items that you have created, or that you have imported via the Import screen.
The Help Category is included when you install the BaylaDex. It contains useful information about many of the BaylaDex functions. To access the Help Category, press the Category pull-down menu and select Help, Then press the Item pull-down menu and choose the topic of interest.
This is where you add new Categories or Items. Each Category can contain many Items, and both have a maximum length of 12 characters.
When you enter a new Item name and press Save, you are sent back to the Main screen to enter your content. If you entered a new Category it is automatically created along with the new Item.
To duplicate an entire Category select Duplicate Category from the device menu.
The Full View screen provides a larger viewing area for content. From the BaylaDex Main Screen open the device menu and select Full View.
This opens the Full View screen, which provides a larger display area. Below the display the current Category is shown on the left, and the current Item is shown on the right.
Note: for even easier reading switch to large font via the Settings screen.
Choose to enable a password on launch if desired. Also set the Default Category, and font size.
For some functions such as import/export or FTP, password requirements will not be affected by the options selected via the Settings screen.
You can save your email address on this screen for use in other parts of the BaylaDex. It is not collected for any other purpose, and it is not required for BaylaDex operation.
Import or export content from this screen. Your password is required.
To export, enter an Export Filename, and choose a Category to export, or All. If you choose All, your entire database will be exported to a file, useful for backups. To encrypt the file, enter a File Password to be used to open the file.
For import, choose to overwrite or skip existing records. Overwrite will replace existing Category/Items with those in your import file. Skip leaves these intact.
To use this function your password is required. Enter and save your FTP setup.To test your setup press the menu button and select Test FTP Conn.
To upload a file created via the Filer to your FTP server press FTP Upload. Select a file. Press FTP Upload again. The file is sent to the FTP folder specified in your setup.
FTP Download will list available files on your FTP server. Select one and press FTP Download again. The file is copied to the BaylaDex working folder.
The Search screen scans all Item content to locate occurrences of the word or phrase indicated.
Enter the search phrase or word in the Search For box, then press Search.
The pull-down box at the top of the screen will be populated with all Category/Item combinations that contain the searched word or phrase. Press any of these to display the content in the large text box at the bottom of the screen. Press Select and Go to return to the Main screen.